At Star Dental Implant Center, Costa Rica, our team of specialists are passionate about finding the right treatment to fit your need and budget. Some of our patients ask us about the difference between opting for an All-on-4 versus a Snap-On denture so here is a brief summary:
A Snap-On or Stabilized overdenture look like a traditional, removable denture. However, there are 2-4 locators on the under-side of your “plate,” which attach on top of implants placed in your jaw. Snap-On dentures essentially clip into place. There’s no rocking, shifting, or rubbing, because your implants keep the appliance secure. However, you’ll need to remove your appliance at night when you go to sleep and conduct routine care and maintenance as you’d expect with a traditional denture. Overdentures are great for patients who want to stabilize their existing denture but may not be a candidate for an All-on-4 treatment, or have extensive bone loss in their jaws.
An All-on-4 treatment uses four implants to support a full-arch prosthesis that mimics the appearance of an extended dental bridge. Bridges are permanent restorations attached onto teeth or implants, supporting pontic crowns in the areas of missing teeth. The biggest difference between an All-on-4 appliance and an overdenture is the way that it’s shaped. As a permanent appliance, you never have to take it out. Plus, All-on- Four treatments don’t cover the roof of your mouth.
Which is more durable?
Conventional dentures don’t have as strong of biting and chewing capabilities as natural teeth or dental implants. When you set implants under your existing denture, they help keep it in place. However, it does not add much reinforcement in regard to biting and chewing. Foods will still need to be softer and cut up into smaller pieces in order to eat them comfortably.
All-on-4 implants are like chewing with natural teeth again. Each design is crafted from durable materials that mimic natural tooth shape and appearance. Since they’re permanently attached to your mouth, you don’t have to worry about things moving around while you’re eating.
Which is more comfortable?
There are several different factors that impact the comfort of a denture or implant prosthesis. Some of the ones to consider include:
- Rubbing, chafing, and sore spots: All-on-4 dentures help to eliminate the source of sore spots. Since the denture doesn’t use your gums for a seal, there’s not a risk of it rubbing up against them
- Speech: Wearing a removable snap-on denture can change the way you talk. Since there’s still an acrylic “plate” across the roof of your mouth, you’ll have to work on making specific speech sounds without slurring our sounding different. But with an All- on-4 implant appliance, the shape follows the contour of your bite. That means your tongue and lips won’t have to re-learn how to talk differently
- Eating: All-on-4 offers significant advantages over Snap-On dentures when it comes time to eat. Since these hybrid denture/bridge designs do not cover the roof of your mouth, you get to enjoy the natural tastes of your meals and chew easier. Anything you would have eaten before losing your teeth (or wearing dentures) is no longer off limits!
- Confidence: There’s something to be said for the way your smile makes you feel. With an All-on-4 treatment, you can feel comfortable in your own skin. There’s no taking out an appliance when you go to bed at night, or having to worry about the way you look when you’re laughing in front of friends. Everything is as it should be
- Facial profile: Dentures can change the way you look. With implants, you’re naturally supporting the bone in your mouth, which consequently affects your facial profile. All-on-4 treatment gives you the fullness that counteracts “sunken-in” features seen in tooth loss. Rather, your cheeks and lips are supported to add more youth back to your face.
Which is right for you?
Our team of US-trained specialists at Star Dental Implant Center, Costa Rica, offers a variety of smile restorative techniques for your smile. When it comes to replacing all of your teeth as quickly as possible, the All-on-4 or a Snap-On denture are the top two choices. A Snap-On can be a more cost-effective option but the All-on-Four offers a number of advantages because the design mimics your natural smile as closely as possible.
Talk to our team today to find out more. We will work with you to find the best solution for you dependent on your needs and your budget.