When you’re looking to undergo significant dental treatment in order to restore your smile, it’s important to know who will be carrying out these procedures. Many clinics, looking to win patients based on the lowest price, conduct complex treatments using General Dentists rather than a team of Specialists. Does this really matter?
It takes 5 years to train to be a General Dentist. Specialists then train for a further 2-5 years (dependent on their specialty). As a result, many Generalists are able to charge lower prices but they lack the depth of knowledge, training and experience that Specialist Dentists have.
Specialists know the latest techniques and a thorough understanding of possible complications and how to avoid them. They can also offer alternative treatment options which may result in better results or even a cheaper treatment plan.
It can be confusing, so here is a run-down of the different specialist areas:
- Prosthodontist: “Replacement specialist” & treatment “Quarterback” – Prosthodontists focus on restoring and replacing lost or damaged teeth. Prosthodontists have a unique understanding of everything that goes into a beautiful, functional, and natural-looking smile. Prosthodontists specialize in porcelain veneers, crowns, dental implants, fixed bridges, dentures, and reconstructive dentistry.
- Periodontist: “Gum specialist” – Periodontal dentistry focuses on the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of diseases that affect the gums, and other structures that support the teeth. Think of them as the gum disease experts of dentistry
- Endodontist: “Root canal specialist” – Inside our teeth are tiny cavern-like passages called canals that contain sensitive living tissue (pulp), blood vessels, and nerves. Endodontists specialize in diagnosing and treating issues within our teeth
- Maxillofacial Surgeon: “Oral surgery specialist” – This specialist focuses on treating problems related to the hard and soft tissues of the face, mouth, and jaw. You don’t need an oral surgeon for every type of oral surgery.
At Star Dental Implant Center, all of our patients are treated by Specialists enabling us to guarantee our work and be confident of amazing results. Dr. Carlos Sevilla, our Lead Clinician holds a Specialty in Prosthodontics and a Masters in Oral Biology from Texas A&M University’s Baylor College of Dentistry. Furthermore, our team includes Maxillofacial Surgeons, Periodontists, and Endodontists.
We highly encourage you to research the team you will choose to restore your smile and ask the following questions:
- Will I be treated by a qualified Specialist?
- Where did they study?
- What degrees does he/she have?
- Is he/she a member of the American Dental Association?
Do not be shy to ask about your doctor’s credentials. If you have any questions on this topic or would like to discuss treatments with us, please contact us at 1-866-828-2871.